Stirling Historical Society Museum-Ireland House
319 Main Street, Greenport, NY 11944
Ireland House was built in the early 1830s on the south side of Adams Street about 100 feet from its present location. The house was home to numerous Greenport working families, many of whom rented from the property owners.
The house style is Greenport Vernacular, a common house form built from the 1750s. It is a simple small-scale half house with a plain façade, painted clapboard, a doorway with sidelight and transom and 6/6 pane windows.
The Society named the house after Margaret E. Ireland, a well known civic worker and an admired, colorful resident of Greenport. She was a newspaper correspondent for the NY Herald Tribune, the NY Journal American and local papers; a tireless fund raiser for Eastern Long Island Hospital and Burton Potter Post American Legion, and matron of Greenport Police Department. Ms. Ireland’s grandparents lived in the house in the late 1800s and raised their family there. Later Ms. Ireland’s parents, James and Margaret Grady, lived in the house and when Ms. Ireland returned to Greenport in 1918, she also took up residency with her children. She lived in the house until her death in 1962 at the age of about 83.
The museum is furnished with 19th and 20th Century domestic equipment and memorabilia. Other items include artifacts and tools from the Greenport's whaling and oyster industries.
Open weekends July and August and by appointment. Located on the east side of the village parking area.